Croatia should be enjoying the train ride traversing the Dugo Selo-Križevci railway line. Ironically, it needs to pay HRK 120 million as penalties for not finishing the railway line on time.
Paying the Consequence of Unfinished Dugo Selo-Križevci Railway Line
In 2016, they signed the accord for the construction of this railway’s section which should have been finished two years ago. The project’s target date has now been moved to 2024. It means that it could take up to eight years to finish making the 38.2-kilometre-long section.
In such a way, the finalisation of this portion would conflict with the project completion on the Križevci to Koprivnica line. The work began in 2020, four years following the development of the Dugo Selo-Križevci railway line.
Because the project won’t make it on time, Croatia will have to pay HRK 120 million. It serves as a penalty for the unfinished Dugo Selo-Križevci railway line, which cannot be completed within the specified time frame agreed with the European
According to the co-financing agreement, the existing track’s modernisation and the construction of a new one must be finished before the end of 2023 for the sum to be fully paid. However, it looks like it’s not going to happen.
Sources mentioned that almost 90% of the Dugo Selo-Križevci railway line work will have its completion by the end of 2023. It will have its accomplishment by 2024. As a result, Croatia needs to pay the outstanding 10% near the value of the project from its own budget.
The contract’s value with a domestic consortium is HRK 1.2 billion (€160m). The EU co-finances the project with 85%. So far, Up to this time, at least 70% of the project has been done.
Inclusions in the Croatian Railway Line Project
HZ Infrastructure Ltd is the company in charge of innovating the railway section that will link Dugo Selo to Križevci. It includes the modernising of the 36 km railway line. The project likewise involves the second track’s structure, 11 new overpasses, six bridges, and 25 km of service roads.
Additionally, there will be upgrades for safety signalling and telecommunication devices, a stable electric traction facility, and track and bridge rehabilitation.
The project will clear two pedestrian crossings and 17 level crossings. Moreover, it will construct other related infrastructures and lay railway lines. The European Regional Development Fund will finance 85% of the project, while the remaining 15% will have its allocation through national resources.
Selected Croatian Consortium to Modernize Dugo Selo-Križevci Railway Line
The Croatian consortium selected by the HZ Infrastructure company includes Zagreb-Montaza, DIV, and Dalekovod to do the HRK 1.3 billion project on the 38.2-kilometre long rail line that will connect Dugo Selo to Križevci. The railway line infrastructure upgrade will reduce travel time from 30 minutes to 18 minutes.
Image Source: Marko Garic/Pexels